
Today was the first Tuesday of the month so there was a mass said at my church for my Mom. Her friends started this right after she passed away last March. Their group has a "First Friday" tradition where they meet for dinner on the first Friday of the month -- if you can make it you make it, if you can't it is no big deal. That is how the First Tuesday mass is now. I am shocked at how her close friends all still attend this mass together.
Today my Dad and I went and there were 8 friends that I knew and 2-4 that I didn't. My Mom had lots of friends. I don't think there would be that many people at a mass for me. That's okay -- I've got about 26 more years to earn that kind of legacy :) Hopefully I can become more and more like my Mom. I don't crave people mourning my loss -- I'm just so impressed that so many people still come to celebrate her memory more than a year after her passing. I want to be remembered as a person who celebrated life. Mom left this world better than she found it and I want to do that too.
My husband is beginning the process of going back to school. He would like to be an x-ray technician. He has worked construction with his Dad since he was 17. This will be a good change for him and us when he finally completes schooling. Currently the business is just him and his father and the hours and pay suck. He is stressed all the time and can't quit because it would leave his dad in the lurch. The good thing is that his dad started talking about retirement. This opens the door to my husband being able to leave the business. This is a very good thing. He has felt trapped for at least the last 10 years. If he left the business he would be bankrupting his parents -- not a nice prospect. They are working to pay of the debts. In this state the economy stinks and hence small construction companies are typically in debt if they have survived at all. We were already in trouble at the prospect of what to do for income while I student teach in the next year or so -- now we will be looking at how to pay his tuition as well. I'm just going to take each thing as it comes. Our spending has been more controlled and we are living on less. This too shall pass! I've decided not to worry about it too much and to take things one step at a time. If I were killed tomorrow I'd be really pissed if I wasted today worrying.
We took the bandage off the greyhound last night. Actually, my husband did while I stayed at a safe distance telling the dog what a good boy he was. I have a touch of fear when it comes to dealing with my greyhound these days. Last summer he thought I was going to take his greenie away and he growled at me! The most docile dog ever growled! I was freaked and almost gave him away that day for fear of my children being growled at and bitten. We are careful of treats now. I can't have a dog that growls because aggression is not acceptable from a dog in a home with children. Thankfully he has never shown any aggression since, but you can't blame me for letting my husband deal with the bandage. I was also mildly attacked by an Akita when I was a kid. It is kind of strange that I ended up with a big dog. Anyway, the greyhound is much better and I'm grateful. The coffee tastes SO good this morning!!
No comments:
Post a Comment