It seemed like the perfect plan. I needed to take the kids to school earlier this year because they are both in middle school. It is difficult to share a bathroom with 2 pre-teens (AKA tweens), so I fell into the habit of taking them to school before my morning routine. I would wake them from their slumbers, they would get ready while I napped, and then I'd drive them to school. I basically put my winter coat over my pajama bottoms and a sweatshirt. My feet were bare and tucking into my tennis shoes. My hair was unwashed and unbrushed -- though I did take a moment to pat it down if any part was sticking out.
It didn't matter that I was driving the Hoopty in my PJ's because nobody saw me. I didn't have to get the kids out of the car and walk them in - I just had to drive through the drop off loop and head back home to ready myself for work. I had to hurry once I got home, but it was better to hurry alone than to compete for bathroom time with tweens. Heck, if I didn't hover over Wonder Boy he would gratefully skip brushing his teeth. I can't let that happen, so I have fallen into the PJ wearing drop-off routine.
Last week the thought crossed my mind that it would be horrifying to be in a fender bender one of these mornings.... Imagine the horror of your mom having to get out of the car at your school in her pajamas..... Oh yeah, wouldn't that be great?
So yesterday I hopped into the car in my PJ's to drive the kids to school. We were about half way there when my steering started to get creaky.
As I turned a corner I could feel the power steering start to fail... it wasn't gone, but it was definitely not up to snuff.
I asked the kids to say a prayer and slowly crept up through the drop off circle. No matter what, I knew I could not break down in front of the school. I didn't care if I broke my arms turning that wheel without power steering, I was NOT getting out of my car in front of that school.
To make a long story short, I made it home without making a public spectacle in my pajamas. What a relief!
Hubby took my car today so that he could experience the joy of sporadic steering power. He has fixed my power steering previously (when there has been a hose that has blown during super cold weather). I'm hoping that it will be a minor hose repair and not some sort of expensive rapair...
So, I took my husband's car this morning to drop the kids off.... in my pajamas. You would think I'd learn. Perhaps I should stop living on the edge....
4 comments:
Living on the edge, you radical, you! hahahahaaaa!
Cyalayta
Mal :)
I see people at the grocery store in their pajamas all the time.
I love to see women folk out in their pjs.
However, when my first grader came home today and told me that next week is pj day....
"Pjs are private clothes that should only be worn in your own home honey."
Yes, I feel like such a radical Mal!
I see people in the grocery store too Pam, I've just never been one of them (since graduating from college oh so many years ago!).
mssc54 -- I remember being a bit shocked at PJ day in the elementary school too! Now here I am driving kids to school in mine! Oh the tangled web I weave!
Post a Comment