I went to the pain doctor today. Big ouchie. I've had chronic pain since 2001 when I was in an auto accident. I was minding my own business when Fast Eddie in his Cadillac did a u-turn right in front of me. The speed limit was 50 mph and I was probably doing 40-45 when I hit him. Stupid me, I locked my arms when I saw the impact coming -- so every joint in my arms and shoulder took the impact. The 2nd impact, after I was flung forward into my seat belt, smacked my head and neck back into my seat. I didn't feel pain at first.... then the shock wore off. Pain has been part of my life ever since.
If I stretch and exercise my pain is manageable -- especially if I keep my stress down. My lack of sleep has made my pain worse, so seeing the pain doctor today was kind of brutal. When you see a doctor of physical medicine and rehabilitation (physiatrist) it is typical that your strength and flexibility are tested. Testing my strength is a great pain trigger (especially when trigger points are activated), so right now I'm kind of cranky (I admit this is an understatement). Going back to work after this appointment is a bummer. Pretending not to be hostile is interesting and challenging.
Managing stress, getting exercise, and adequate rest are key to me functioning. I'm doing well on the managing stress, but the exercise and sleep are not happening. Hence, my pain is pretty bad as of late. I do the 2nd sleep study this Friday. Hopefully resolution will come on the sleep issue and I'll be treatable. If I can get rest, I can find energy to exercise. In the meantime; I got steroid shots in a few myofacial pain trigger points (goodbye professional sports career!). I know that this will help tomorrow, but I hurt like hell today. I need to get back in for acupuncture, but who has the time? (I never believed in acupuncture and only tried it in desperation -- holy cow those crazy stabbing needles work! Throw in that insane electro stimulation and you have a real party going!).
So here I am, waiting for 5:00 so I can go home and get me a nap and a heating pad! Yippee Ki Yay! Someone please sedate me..... No wine on my diet, what a bummer.
2 comments:
oh.my.goodness.ouch.
The steroid shots in a few myofacial pain trigger points
Thats gotta hurt hurt hurt.
I've had a few of those shots
Hope the sleep center can help you function at a higher level.
OUCH!!
I'm glad to hear the acupuncture is working! Though I must admit, the needles look scarey. How often do you go?
Being in pain is no fun. I was hit by a car while walking on my lunch hour about 4 years ago -- my knees and hips still ache from that. :o(
Post a Comment