Thursday, June 21, 2007

Make the phone ring....

My overdue sister is finally in labor! She somehow got the hospital to keep her even though she arrived at the hospital with back labor and was only dilated to a 1. I am amazed at her skills, she got the epidural at 11am this morning when she was only dilated to 2! Apparently she took my advice not to miss out on that epidural really seriously. I'm glad she got one. Really. No matter how many times I've called her my evil sister :-)

She is so different from me. She keeps everyone at an arm's length. It is strange to be kept away from someone I was so close to for so long. I'm so sad we've grown apart despite efforts to come back together after Mom's illness. I wish this were different. I want to be close again. I am really trying. I call her frequently. I listen, empathize, and chat. I'm always on her side and in her corner. I feel so distant right now. Maybe that is just how it will always be. If Mom can't be there she doesn't want anyone else there. It is just she and her husband at the hospital. "No, don't come out. I'll call you when it is time to come." And so, the phone is quiet.

I am glad I was not alone when I had my kids. I am glad I welcomed others in. Come join my inner circle! There is plenty of room! Come in, come in! I like how a friend of my sister's said.
"If you ever wonder if you should call or come over.... just come. I want you here."

If you ever wonder, don't wonder. I want you here.
Come in, you are always welcome!

I wish the phone would ring.

She does not need to be alone.

May her delivery be easy....

1 comment:

Emily said...

ooh, i'm pulling for her too!

it's such an exciting time, i can understand why you'd want to be there for her! but i suppose we're all different, and maybe it feels better to her to be alone w/her husband till the labor is over? i sure hope your relationship will heal, you're doing all you can do, it just takes time.