Saturday, September 13, 2008

Why?

Why is it SO hard for me to shut up.

I am learning.

I am learning to shut up on the soccer sidelines.

I don't know if it is good; I think my head will explode.

Incompetence is never good, but at 13 and under, you would hope for better. The coach is the guy that took over the team when Hubby could no longer commit to soccer due to work and school obligations. I am disappointed at what I witness more as each week passes. I can't stand to watch talent go undeveloped. I can't stand to watch a team dissolve into poor play when I know they are capable of so much more.

Yes, I miss being the assistant coach.

Yes, I loved it (nothing is more rewarding than building the confidence of a team and watching them have fun as they gain skill).

No, my issue with this coach is not that I'm jealous and want to be the coach.

(Though I would step in happily if given the opportunity).

I simply hate biting my lip until it bleeds because I know more than he does about soccer. I hate knowing that our offense can't do it's thing because the defense is collapsing back upon the goalie. It makes me crazy that we give up the entire center of the field to the opposing team because these girls are not being coached on how to play their position. The other team had no worries about being off sides -- we invited them into our net.

"Good kick."

"Nice Try!"

Is that coaching at this age level? I ask you?

Oh just shoot me....... How will I survive 8 more games of this? I better call my doctor and up my blood pressure meds. We are only on game 2, this season might just kill me..... You would be proud of me though -- I kept my big fat mouth shut. Even though it killed me.

(Yes, Super Girl noted my lack of cheering / yelling... she wondered about it since I am usually full of enthusiasm and cheerful "Good job" shouts to all..... I just could not say anything today for fear that I'd start yelling at the defense to MOVE UP..... I wanted to coach the other team today so that I could exploit our weak and disorganized defense... I must really be sick). I could not cheer for our team because we played bad soccer. We were poorly coached and the team is struggling to mesh with 1/2 the team having been together for 6 years and 1/2 new this year. They looked to their coach for leadership and got confusion.... he even subbed us short by putting too few players in... Again, please shoot me).

I will try to find good to cheer about at the next game. I will not coach from the sidelines. Perhaps things will change? If not, this will be a very long season.... UGH!

What would you do? How do you bite your lip? Super Girl is frustrated and I'm hiding my frustration from her so that I don't make it worse. ("Oh, I just tried not to yell too much because I know coach doesn't want parents coaching from the sidelines -- aren't you proud of me that I behaved?)

Is it just me???? Does this stuff make anyone else crazy?

3 comments:

Attila the Mom said...

No, not crazy. It's hard to sit on the sidelines and KNOW you can do a better job because you've already done a better job. argh.

Anonymous said...

I coached fast pitch softball at both the High School level and recreational level. HS I was an assistant but recreational I was the head coach.

Female sports ALLWAYS have the inferior coaches. Most people think the girls are second class atheletes anyway so don't bother.

Yes, it bothers the "heck" out of me.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm sorry but I can't "bite my tongue" on this any longer.

Yeh, I think you should keep your mouth shut on the side lines. Youth sports is about learning how to play which includes sportsmanship.

Your husband is a "better coach" but instead of making his child a priority he has chosen to make work a priority. Nothing (necessarily) wrong with that.

But for you to chastize the other "less knowledgeable" coach is just uncontainable. So what happens if this "bad" coach decides he has had enough of the parents yelling and devisiveness? What happens if he quits?

Instead of complaining why don't you offer to assist the coach in some way.

If you can't be part of the solution just drop your kid off at the field or stay in your SUV and watch from a distance.

Remember while you are sitting around the dinner table talking junk about your child's coach you are planting the seeds of discontent in your child too.

Way to teach you kid mom.