Thursday, July 05, 2007

Unfinished jobs are getting done

It is strange being at my parent's vacation home. My Mom left so many wonderful touches... I almost feel like she is here with me in many ways. This week I went down into the basement and saw her make-shift paint booth again. She had a headboard (white wicker) and a side table in there primed and ready to be painted. The projects have waited two years now for her to come back. I guess she's having too much fun in heaven to do the painting. My Dad never touched it. None of the rest of us did either... until yesterday!

Yesterday I went into the paint booth (plastic sheeting tacked up on the beams of the basement to create a decent sized paint booth). I looked at the furniture and decided it was time to paint. It is not that I know what I'm doing; I just decided that it was time for me to learn. And learn I did! Did you know that wicker eats spray paint. It eats it I tell you!

Did you know that if you paint in an enclosed area with spray paint that you should wear a mask? Did you know that if you don't wear a mask that every nostril hair you have will turn the color of the spray paint? Did you know that white nostril hair is really unattractive but also REALLY funny looking? Super Girl nearly wet herself laughing at me.

I am also stripping my very first piece of furniture. I got a cool telephone table for just $25. The bad news was that someone along the line painted it. The good news is that stripper works. The bad news is that it is a LOT of work.

My pain level is out of control from the handy work and the long drive we had to get here. Cooking all day on the 4th didn't help. But my MIND is at peace. That is the wonder of wonders. Who knew how much I'd enjoy this stuff? We come back home Sunday. How did this vacation go by so fast? I have much studying to complete for my tests on Thursday. Hopefully my brain is a sponge and I soak it up! I wish you could study by osmosis. I could sleep on my books for days....

Hubby has become Mr. Mom. He took the kids to the beach today while I was handy painter / stripping (furniture stripping that is!) girl. What an odd role reversal. My mind needed the quiet and peace. Hopefully the stress continues to melt away and my fuse becomes longer. I hate when I know I'm a little short fused. I hope to see a wonderful sunset tomorrow. May you enjoy a wonderful weekend! I am excited to be finishing these projects of my mother's -- hope you find something rewarding as well!

4 comments:

Pamela said...

did he quit working for his parents?


I'm learning about wicker and nose hairs and what not to paint .. ha ha

someone else said...

I can imagine it was quite therapeutic to do that paint job. After my mother died many years ago, I brought home some quilt squares she had started cutting out and putting together. I had them for years in a basket and then decided to finish them. It was fun to work on something that she had started.

Emily said...

i'm sorry the handy work is making the headaches worse. seems to be the case for me, as well.

and just so you know, i nearly wet myself just imagining white nose hairs. :)

Grim Reality Girl said...

Pamela -- YES! He quit the family business after 20 years! This has been a huge struggle. I'm so proud of him for making this difficult decision!

Emily -- Good news -- the headaches have been good for a while. The pain is actually hands, arms, shoulders neck. It is chronic pain from my 2001 auto accident. I know better than to over do it.... but how can you help it sometimes?

Today Hubby painted the outdoor chairs blue (metal old style chairs). He got blue nose hairs. I had to laugh!

Morning Glory -- finishing these projects is good for the soul. I can relate on your mother's sewing -- I have some knitting to learn!