Sunday, March 30, 2008

Cable Guy and Stuff

It was a nice weekend. Hubby was more motivated on the job hunt once I tied him down and forced him to work through the updates to his resume. Funny how getting these things off your plate can make you feel better. He then got back to CareerBuilder and Monster and posted his new and improved resume. He applied for more jobs and hopefully something will shake out. Financially it needs to! That is, unless we win the lottery. I don't need a big win, a "little" one that would pay off the mortgages would be nice :-) A girl has to dream....

Wonder Boy is content now that he has a sleep log to work on. I let him sleep in a bit this weekend and will likely pay for that as they are back in school this week. Super Girl tested for her next best in TaeKwonDo and passed. Wonder Boy is still ahead of her.... I'm glad they are into it because they need to be addicted to some kind of exercise if they are to survive the genes I've passed down to them! Hubby remembered to refill his prescription. Maybe that is what his problem was this week. Note to self, pay attention to that.

The pug is not healing as we'd hoped. We will give her a few more days, but it is likely that she will need to go to the orthopedic veterinarian this week. I can not even begin to imagine what knee surgery on a dog costs..... She is worth every penny, but it would be nice to win a lottery so I didn't have to stress about medical care for my pets.

Today I was like Wonder Woman cleaning the house. The cable guy was coming over to fix our cable (how the heck can you have a bad signal when you are on basic cable and have no box?). I cleaned like a fool and was shocked at my progress. I had to warn him about the basement before he went down there. We call it The Pit of Despair (remember Princess Bride?). The basement is where everything goes that we don't know what to do with (or don't have room for). Hence, it has become the Pit of Despair. Someday I will a ton of it on eBay.

So anyway, I warned the cable guy about The Pit of Despair before he went down there. His response? "You can't scare the cable guy, nothing scares the cable guy. I've seen it all." He and Hubby ventured down and he reported back there was nothing to fear -- our Pit of Despair was not that scary. Apparently scary is when you can not get to the thing you need to look at. Okay, that would be scary!

Then the cable guy had to check the wiring in the back yard. We had what might be a spring melt this weekend (I hope spring is coming!). With a greyhound and a pug, there was a lot buried under the snow this winter. Hubby has not had a chance to spring clean the organic waste (poop) in the yard yet. I warned the cable guy to beware and be careful. He scoffed at my warning, and again he exclaimed, "You can't scare the cable guy!" Again, I thought him crazy; again he returned to report it wasn't that bad. I told him that I was really grateful for his kindness and really sorry that he has apparently experienced worse!

Then the cable guy did something amazing. He decided our signal needed an amplifier. He doesn't like it that the company makes him charge people $60 to amplify a signal as it comes into the house (we agreed with him, the signal should be stronger). He went and checked his truck and found an extra one which he hooked up for free. I told him I loved him. Was that too much? Hubby and cable guy both laughed at me. I was serious...

So today my house was cleaned, my cable signal fixed, and I'm almost done with my reading for the week. Life is good! May this week bring happy surprises, for now I will enjoy a cleaner house.

3 comments:

Emily said...

hooray for small kindnesses! what a blessing. i've still got my fingers crossed for your hubby, hopefully he'll find himself a great job soon. :)

joker the lurcher said...

its amazing how a tiny bit of kindness from someone can make it all turn around a bit! hope the job stuff sorts itself out soon.

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

I wonder if the first thing you watched on your refreshed-signal cable was 'The Princess Bride'?

Inconceivable!

Cyalayta
Mal :)